Temporary Supply Pastor – Christ’s First Presbyterian Church – Hempstead, NY
Christ’s First Presbyterian Church, 353 Fulton Avenue, Hempstead, NY 11550
Position Description: Temporary Supply Pastor
Christ’s First Presbyterian Church is a church in transition. We are home to a culturally diverse congregation of believers in Hempstead, New York, a suburban village in Nassau County, twenty-one miles east of New York City. While the village of Hempstead is classified as suburban, it can be seen as suburban-urban, a suburban area with all the problems of an urban area.
The Temporary Supply Pastor will provide mature spiritual leadership with a strong Christian walk, have a keen sense of God’s call on his/her life, have a generous and welcoming spirit, have extensive experience preaching and serving as a worship leader in an economically diverse, multi-ethnic and non-traditional congregation. The new leader will need to be highly motivated, compassionate, and possess strong relationship-building skills with the ability to provide strategic vision and decision-making to establish and maintain internal and external networks, and to minister collaboratively with service providers in accordance with the Matthew 25 initiative. The new leader must have a strategic vision and awareness of a social media presence and its benefits in evangelism, church growth, and communication beyond the walls of the “church” building as we spread the Word in the 21St Century.
As a change agent, the pastor will be responsible for establishing a peace-filled, inclusive community of believers where growth and development is the goal for the spiritual life of the church. The pastor must be able to lean into conflict at all levels and guide the processes through resolution. And the pastor must work closely with the session, the deacon board, and the Presbytery of Long Island: to accomplish the following:
– Prepare and deliver a message for Sunday Worship, which will include a “Children’s Message,” as well as other services throughout the year, e.g., Ash Wednesday, Maundy Thursday, Good Friday.
– Become involved with and available to the various ministries and committees, e. g., Men’s Ministry, Women’s Ministry, Youth Ministry, Young Adult Ministry, and Liturgical Arts Ministry.
– Provide weekly Bible Study and other religious training in collaboration with session.
– Administer sacraments as approved by the session as well as moderate the session and congregational meetings.
– Provide pastoral care, along with weekly opportunities to engage with the congregation.
– Attend Presbytery and other meetings as a representative of the church.
Time commitment: 20 hours per week
Salary: $35, 000 …… $38,000 maximum
Contractual agreement subject to annual review.