Introduction to Financial Stewardship Coaching
At New Brunswick Theological Seminary, our mission is to educate persons and strengthen communities for transformational, public ministries in church and society. We fulfill this mission through creative, contextual, and critical engagement with texts, traditions, and practices. This mission informs our vision of Financial coaching, which strives to help students be successful as confident stewardship leaders and is delivered through people of faith who have experience and expertise in stewardship and financial management.
We believe that personal financial wellness leads to excellent stewardship leadership. The purpose of financial coaching is to serve congregations of the church by helping students (current and future church leaders) be successful stewardship leaders. Financial coaching help students identify and understand the many components needed for financial health.
All students are invited and encouraged to have a financial coach.
- To help students understand the relationship of financial competency and personal financial wellness to success as a stewardship leader.
- To clarify the role of the coach to walk alongside the student as he or she identifies personal goals and develops steps to achieve those The work is given to the student.
- In the case of high debt to help students anticipate the impact of high levels of debt on placement after graduation as well as his or her ability to be a successful stewardship leader.
- To develop a relationship with the student that is built on trust, respect and confidentiality.
Important underlying considerations for coaches in working toward goals:
- The financial situation of a spouse or partner.
- Student life.
- Electing to live responsibly and within a plan.
- Active in their local congregation and committed to faithful stewardship.
- Knowledgeable in the area of personal finance and budgeting.
- Effective listeners: Listening first, giving feedback last.
- Focused and curious.
- Willing to facilitate a process where the student does the preparation and planning.
- Models for how to engage in financial conversations.
- Ready to refer candidates to other coach volunteers at the appropriate time.
- Personal financial management is an integral expression of faithful stewardship.
- Students have the ability to think through and make their own decisions.
- It is not the job of a coach to market any financial product or service.
Coaching Statement: All coaches are asked to sign a statement regarding perspectives and healthy boundaries in relating to a student.
Student Financial Stewardship Coach Request Form